Krugersdorp Road Runners’ history timeline goes as far as the 1970’s where it was first part of Krugersdorp Athletic Club.
In the early 1980s Tiennie and Linda Coetzer split off from the Athletic Club and started off as Krugersdorp Road Runners which concentrated more on road runners and Ultra Marathon Athletes other than track and field athletes. They became the first committee members as Chairman and Secretary and so formed an independent Road Running Club in Krugersdorp.
The Club started off doing 4 and 8 km time trials at the Monument Dam, Krugersdorp. This landmark is now the well known Key West shopping Centre.
On the 7th of August 1993 the Club’s first Clubhouse was opened by councillor Tommy Steenkamp in Coronation Park, Krugersdorp and this is still the venue for time trails and club functions.
Today Krugersdorp Road Runners stand tall with over 300 members and is one of the biggest road running clubs on the West Rand.
Krugersdorp Road Runners host two big race events each year :
In January 2010 the Berg-en-Dal 15km race hosted at the President Hyper.
Total number of finishers in 2010 : 941
- In April the Cradle of Humankind Half Marathon and 10 Km race hosted at Something Country Restaurant in Muldersdrift.
Total number of finishers in 2010 : 1120 and 789
Krugersdorp Road Runners also hosts a mini triathlon in October at the clubhouse in Coronation Park which is also popular among athletes.